Friday, April 22, 2016

Amateur Radio Mobile Install - TYT TH9800 Dead Again!!


 I posted a while ago that my TYT 9800 which at the time was barely out of the box had packed up on me out of the blue. When I pressed the power on button, the fan came on for a split second and went off and that's all that happened. No power to the radio at all. I checked all the fuses, cables, software, PSU, everything and I just couldn't figure out the fault!



One YouTuber commented saying that he had the same issue with his Yaesu 8900 which is basically the same radio that has been copied by TYT. He said to check the small RJ12 cable behind the front face of the radio which joins it to the main body. So as a last 'why not' attempt I swapped the cable for the separation cable provided with the radio and hey presto it worked!



The radio sprung back to life as if nothing had happened but I had to use the separation cable now as the small cable was dead. I retired the TYT from the car for about 6 months and used my Icom 207 2m/70cm transceiver instead which is my little workhorse at 20 years old.


I decided to reinstate the TYT about 3 weeks ago in the car and put the main body of the radio under the dash and the remote head on a holder in the windscreen which looked and worked great. The long wire that connected the two was hidden from view behind the dash.


I used it one night last week and stopped off for some dinner at a pub. When I came out the radio was dead! Same symptoms as last time. I whipped the radio out and put my trusty Icom back in the car and good riddance!



What an awful radio it really is. I've had nothing but issues from the start. When I press A, B, C, D, E or F buttons it wipes all my settings out. It has gone through 2 cables now and I also noticed how easily overloaded the front end gets rendering it completely useless at times. Try doing some hilltop DX with it and you'll see what I mean. Much prefer the Icom 207. I ordered a cheap cable off eBay just to confirm that it was a fault in the original and I was right. 



Anyone else had any issues with these radios? Let me know!


Thanks for reading!

73's, Lewis M3HHY.

Manchester, UK. 


No comments:

Post a Comment